Monday, February 20, 2012

Here Comes a New Challenger!

Hi all!  My name is Julian and I'm pleased to be jumping in and joining the GuG writing crew.  I am a dad who is in to board games, card games, rpgs and video games.  I've been friends with Randy and Angie for over a decade and I am honored to contribute to this blog.  I look forward to providing some fun/helpful content and getting to know all of you faithful readers of this fine blog.  
This is me when I shaved my beard all crazy awhile back.
Often Playing: Skyrim, 7 Wonders, Dominion, Magic the Gathering (Commander)
Often Wishing: My 9 month old boy would go back to sleep!
Often Working On: School, leveling up my house, and a super cool family friendly RPG with my GuG buddies.

If you want to know anything more about me I am happy to answer any question in the comments.  Hit me with whatever crazy ya got! :)

4 comments:

  1. Julian,

    Read your articles on teaching games and love them. I have a challenge for you - Bridge and how to teach it.
    Bridge is a trick-taking card game where players work in partnerships to bid contracts and then attempt to make that number of tricks while the opponents try to take them off. It's pretty common to find rules on Google if it's foreign to you.

    At the moment, Bridge is taught to young players (<15 years old) through Minibridge - a 'simplified' version of Bridge. The objective of the English Bridge Union is to teach them this game first and THEN...well, we don't know.

    At the moment, adults are taught from given contracts and the play this out. Following that, they develop card-play and bidding as they go along.

    I'd like to know your view on this - personally, I feel that young players are given a simplified game that only adds complications through bidding rather than making the game more fun, so they never learn actual Bridge. If so, what could we do to improve it and get more youth playing?

    Please do e-mail your views to bridge.society@gmail.com as we'd love to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julian,
    This is Greenbrier Games (Developers of Zpocalypse)thanking you for mentioning us in your blog. We have added a link to your blog on our website and wish you all the best in your kickstarter campaign. It's looking great so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greenbrier: Thanks so much for linking to our post/giveaway on your site. I've been really excited to try out Zpocalyspe for quite some time (and bummed we didn't get the chance at Gencon OR PAX! Those tables were packed!) so when I was putting together the list of games you "could" spend a Game Salute gift certificate on, Zpocalypse was one of the first ones that came to mind! :)

    (I know your post was aimed at Julian but since I was the one who made the list I thought I'd just go ahead and reply anyway!)

    ReplyDelete